a reverie about young bruisers... (literary reference)
These photos remind me of the glimpses of desire portrayed by Jean Genet in Miracle of the Rose (an amazing and disturbing work of poetic genius). More about Genet here & here.
Thanks for the note, WW... Yeah, Rechy is great, documenting male desire in a similar way, with a unique and personal voice... a kind of Genet for American culture.
well...Rechy is also a good writter...and I think Genet is a better poet than Rechy...remember flowers, male smells, night murmurs, rough and beautiful bad boys, jails,...
well, I guess I am kind of a bush-bunny, but I think Rechy's Numbers is pretty f-ing hot: just a story about how many guys you can do in a day in Griffith Park. Each one, a Number. I just want to crawl in between these two guys for a little poetry Slam! ...what a beautiful space y'all are creating for us guyz...
I really think our host has it right, for these photographs. They are Genet, all the way, and as familiar as they both are, I'm grateful for the suggestion. Rechy's marvelous, but the two writers share very little in common except in literal conduct. For Rechy, this first portrait is a tactic, for Genet it is a virtual equivalent of the second. For Rechy, this second portrait is all about a conclusion -- as "very tens" suggests, a "fait accompli." For Genet, this second portrait is all about a process, a state of being.
Laurent... Who are you? I would like to exchange thoughts with you, based on your words... but you are not "linkable" and seem to be anonymous. I think you're on the spot about Genet/Rechy and the differences between them... in a really insightful way. Send an email about your thoughts... holopspifcat@yahoo.com
about the male gaze, about jockstraps, vintage beauty, remembered lust, wrestlers' singlets, fragile soldiers, jock's shorts, pretty boys, difficult confessions, self-portraiture, timid suggestions & astonishing, magnificent ghosts
ODE
All these beautiful boys, shot by amateurs photographers, smiling in front ov the camera, laughing and playing with buddies...all is over now, the buddies, the models, the camera and the photographers. -DJAM'L
6 comments:
I am so glad that you are reading Genet. Have you read Rechy as well?
Smart + Introspective = Kiefster
Thanks for the note, WW... Yeah, Rechy is great, documenting male desire in a similar way, with a unique and personal voice... a kind of Genet for American culture.
well...Rechy is also a good writter...and I think Genet is a better poet than Rechy...remember flowers, male smells, night murmurs, rough and beautiful bad boys, jails,...
well, I guess I am kind of a bush-bunny, but I think Rechy's Numbers is pretty f-ing hot: just a story about how many guys you can do in a day in Griffith Park. Each one, a Number.
I just want to crawl in between these two guys for a little poetry Slam!
...what a beautiful space y'all are creating for us guyz...
I really think our host has it right, for these photographs. They are Genet, all the way, and as familiar as they both are, I'm grateful for the suggestion. Rechy's marvelous, but the two writers share very little in common except in literal conduct. For Rechy, this first portrait is a tactic, for Genet it is a virtual equivalent of the second. For Rechy, this second portrait is all about a conclusion -- as "very tens" suggests, a "fait accompli." For Genet, this second portrait is all about a process, a state of being.
Laurent...
Who are you? I would like to exchange thoughts with you, based on your words... but you are not "linkable" and seem to be anonymous. I think you're on the spot about Genet/Rechy and the differences between them... in a really insightful way.
Send an email about your thoughts...
holopspifcat@yahoo.com
Post a Comment